Using Umbraco Health Checks as Integration Tests, Revisited!

About a year ago I wrote an article on LinkedIn called "Micro Services, Headless & Integration Testing using Umbraco Health Checks" (I know, terrible title, trying to squeeze in every buzzword there is). This article was about a proof of concept I did where I was using Health Checks in Umbraco as "Integration Tests" to keep track of external dependencies in a headless project.

LinkedIn is a terrible blogging platform:

This article was written before I had my own blog when I was using LinkedIn as a my blogging platform (terrible idea). I have no clue how LinkedIn's algoritm works (who does?) but this article has gotten very little expose. I must have posted it on a slow day because I doubt anyone actually saw it, which I think is a bit unfortunate. 

Microservice all the things!

Reading through this article again one year later I actually think it is even more relevant today than it was one year ago. Almost every one of our projects moves towards a microservice architecture and our applications are rarely these huge web apps anymore, but instead they are a bunch of applications working together in a cluster of apps.

Almost every one of our projects moves towards a microservice architecture.

Keeping track of all of these apps requires good documentation and the idea of using Health Checks was that us as developers and the editors could quickly run a status check on every integration and we could get an idea of which application was acting strange or not responding. Almost the same way as we are using Integration Tests in TeamCity, but with a nicer GUI and more editor friendly.


So now when I have my own platform setup I thought I would give this article another chance in life. Call it a Revisit! Hope you like it, and if you are one of the few who actually saw it one year ago, my sincere apologies.

Cheers friends, hope you're having a great monday! ❤️